Calculator for the production of a limited amount of cannabis for medical purposes
From Health Canada
This calculator is a tool you can use if you are applying to register with Health Canada to:
- produce a limited amount of cannabis for your own medical purposes or to
- designate another person to produce it on your behalf
Use the calculator for the production of a limited amount of cannabis for medical purposes to find out:
- how many marijuana plants you or the person you have designated may be able to produce
- how much dried marijuana or its equivalent you or the person you have designated may be able to store
What you need to know
Under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR), you or the person you have designated may only begin producing cannabis after you receive a registration certificate from Health Canada.
Registering with Health Canada requires you to apply and submit an original medical document from your health care practitioner.
Once you have a registration certificate, you may want to register with a licensed producer to order:
- plants and/or seeds as starting materials
- an interim supply of fresh or dried marijuana, or cannabis oil
You may want to access this interim supply option:
- while you wait for your first harvest
- if your crop is not successful and you don’t have enough cannabis in storage to meet your needs
Plant and storage limit calculator
The number of plants that may be grown and the amount of dried marijuana that can be stored is limited. This limit is based on a formula in the ACMPR that takes into account:
- the daily amount, as authorized by your health care practitioner
- the average yield of a plant under certain growing conditions, such as indoor or outdoor growing
- the number of growth cycles expected in a year
The following calculator is for reference purposes only.
You or the person you have designated may only begin to produce marijuana plants once you receive a registration certificate from Health Canada.
Please enter your authorized daily grams, select indoor and/or outdoor and press "Calculate" for results.
- Registering to produce cannabis for your own medical purposes
- Guidance document: completing the registration application form
- Information for people registered or designated to produce cannabis for medical purposes
- Safety and security considerations
- Understanding the new Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations
- Date modified: