Food and nutrition
Find tips for healthy eating, information on food allergies, safety standards and labels. Also learn about recalls and how Canada monitors and measures food consumption.
Discover Canada's food guides as well as tips for healthy eating and food safety. Also learn about nutrients, nutrition for all ages, and nutrition programs and working groups.
Get information on food label requirements and buying food grown or prepared in Canada. Also learn how to understand food labels and report a labelling concern.
Learn about food-borne chemical contaminants and toxins found in plants and animals. Be informed about Canada's role in food safety as well as recalls, alerts and investigations.
Learn about food allergies, sensitivities and intolerances, and how to identify common food allergens. Also learn how to avoid an allergic reaction to food.
Explore Canada's food and safety standards for imports and exports, production, packaging, distribution and retail. Also know about health claims and pre-market submissions.
Explore how Canada monitors and measures food and nutrient consumption. Also find information on dietary reference intakes, food security, and health and nutrition surveys.
What we are doing
Laws and regulations
- Summary of Health Canada's Assessment of a Health Claim about Vegetables and Fruit and Heart Disease
- Sulphites - One of the ten priority food allergens
- Eating Well with Canada's Food Guide - A Resource for Educators and Communicators
- Prenatal Nutrition Guidelines for Health Professionals - Folate Contributes to a Healthy Pregnancy
- Proposed food label changes
- Proposal to Enable the Use of Three New Colouring Agents in Certain Unstandardized Foods
- Proposal to Enable the Use of a New Food Additive, Yeast Mannoproteins, to Inhibit Crystal Formation in Wine
- Proposal to Enable the Use of Carboxypeptidase Obtained from Aspergillus niger PEG-1 as a Food Enzyme in Dairy-based Flavouring Preparations, Mascarpone, and Certain Standardized Cheeses and Meats
Stay hydrated with water
Learn about the benefits of drinking water.
Eat well recipes
Find healthy recipes for every season.
Access information on the Organic Products Regulations. Also learn about labelling for these products, national organic standards and Canada's organic certification system.
- Date modified: