Proposed food label changes to the list of ingredients
Canada is proposing changes to the list of ingredients on food labels. Learn about these proposed changes and how they can help Canadians make informed food choices for themselves and their families.
On this page
What are the proposed changes to the list of ingredients?
We are proposing the following changes to the list of ingredients.
- All words in the list of ingredients will be in sentence case. They will be in a black or dark font on white or neutral background.
- Proposed format changes also apply to any “contains” statement indicating the presence or potential presence of:
- priority food allergens
- gluten sources
- added sulphites
- The ingredients will be separated by bullets.
- All ingredients that are sugar-based will be grouped in brackets after the common name "sugars."
- Food colours will be listed by their common name.
These changes will make it easier to find, read and understand the list of ingredients. They will also help consumers choose healthier food options.
- Date modified: