Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Unapproved Health Product, UP Ultimate Performance For Men, May Pose Serious Health Risks
- Starting date:
- July 13, 2010
- Posting date:
- July 13, 2010
- Type of communication:
- Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Product Safety, Undeclared Substance, Unauthorized products
- General Public
- Identification number:
Health Canada is advising Canadians about UP Ultimate Performance for Men, an unauthorized health product promoted to enhance male sexual performance. This product has been found to contain undeclared sildenafil, a prescription medication that may pose serious and potentially life-threatening health risks, particularly to people with heart problems. Prescription medications should be taken under the supervision of healthcare practitioners. Vitality Research Inc. has agreed to voluntarily recall the unapproved health product from retail shelves and advises that it will no longer be selling the product in Canada.
Two additional unauthorized products: UP Ultimate Performance Daily Formula and UP Ultimate Performance for Women are of the same formulation and batch number as UP Ultimate Performance for Men and may also contain undeclared sildenafil. Vitality Research Inc. has agreed to also voluntarily recall these unapproved health products.
Who is affected
Canadians who have purchased or used UP Ultimate Performance for Men, UP Ultimate Performance Daily Formula and UP Ultimate Performance for Women, distributed by Vitality Research Inc., and at www.the-upline.com, particularly people with heart problems.
What consumers should do
- Consult your healthcare practitioner if you have used any of these products and are concerned about your health.
- Read the labels on the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), a Natural Product Number (NPN) or a Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) on the label.
- Report any adverse reaction potentially related to these products to Health Canada (see below).
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is monitoring the distributor, Vitality Research Inc. and the company's recall of the products from the retail market and has been advised that the distributor has stopped selling the products.
Sildenafil is used to treat erectile dysfunction and should be used only under the supervision of a health care practitioner. Products authorized for sale containing sildenafil indicate that it should never be used by individuals taking any kind of nitrate drug (e.g. nitroglycerine) as this combination can cause potentially life-threatening low blood pressure.
Individuals with heart problems are at increased risk of cardiovascular side-effects such as heart attack, stroke, chest pain, high blood pressure and abnormal heart beat. Other side-effects include headache, facial flushing, indigestion, dizziness, abnormal vision, and hearing loss.
- Ultimate Performance for Men
The following products may also be affected and have been recalled:
- UP Ultimate Performance Daily Formula
- UP Ultimate Performance for Women
Note: all three products were sold in both bottle and baggie form, with similar labelling.
For more information
Consumers and health professionals wanting more information about this advisory from Health Canada can contact the Public Enquiries Line at 613-957-2991, or toll free at 1-866-225-0709.
Media enquiries related to this Advisory should be directed to Health Canada Media Relations at 613-957-2983.
How to report side effects to health products
To report a suspected adverse reaction to these or other health products, please contact the Canada Vigilance Program of Health Canada toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or complete a Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and send it to us using one of these methods:
- Fax: 1-866-678-6789
- E-mail: CanadaVigilance@hc-sc.gc.ca
- Internet: www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect
Mail: Canada Vigilance Program
Marketed Health Products Directorate
Ottawa, ON, Address Locator 0701C
Related Health Canada Web Content
- Warning (June 8, 2010) – Unauthorized Health Product Seized: Vigofit and Once More
- Advisory (March 8, 2010) – Unapproved Health Product, "Power-Max" May Pose Serious Health Risks
- Advisory (January 8, 2010) – Canadians Advised Not to use "Stiff Nights" or Any Unauthorized Product Promoted for Erectile Dysfunction
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: