Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Unauthorized Health Products Seized at YVS (Your Vitamin Store) in Burnaby, B.C.
- Starting date:
- May 26, 2010
- Posting date:
- May 26, 2010
- Type of communication:
- Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Product Safety, Unauthorized products
- General Public
- Identification number:
Unauthorized health products that may pose a serious health risk were seized by Health Canada at YVS (Your Vitamin Store) in Metrotown, Burnaby, British Columbia. The labels indicate the products contain ingredients that legally require the products to be sold by prescription or with specific controls because they are used to treat serious diseases or may have side effects that require monitoring by a health care practitioner.
Who is affected
Canadians who have purchased DHEA, Free Form Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Hydro Lean, Xtra Lean, Yohimbe Extract, Hemo Rage Black, Lipo 6 Black, Lipo 6 Hers Black or Red Rockets sold at the YVS (Your Vitamin Store) in Metrotown, Burnaby, including over the Internet.
What consumers should do
- Consult your healthcare practitioner if you have used any of these products and are concerned about your health.
- Read the labelling of the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), a Natural Product Number (NPN) or a Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) on the label.
- Report any adverse reaction potentially related to these products to Health Canada (see below).
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is working with the Canada Border Services Agency to help stop the future importation of these unauthorized health products into Canada. Health Canada has been advised that these unauthorized products will no longer be sold from the YVS (Your Vitamin Store) in Metrotown, Burnaby.
These products contain ingredients that can cause serious health problems. Ephedrine and caffeine, when combined together, may cause serious and possibly fatal adverse effects. Canadians suffering from heart conditions, high blood pressure and diabetes are among those particularly at risk. Side-effects associated with L-Carnitine include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea and seizures. Side-effects associated with yohimbine include anxiety and increased urinary frequency, dizziness, stomach problems, headache, sweating, sleeplessness, tremors, palpitations of the heart and severe high blood pressure.
Canadians who have taken products containing these ingredients without the supervision of a health care practitioner or without a prescription may face additional risks. You may be misdiagnosed, the treatment might not be appropriate to treat your illness and you may miss the opportunity to obtain appropriate medical treatment. You may also put yourself at risk for drug interactions, or harmful side effects.
Regulations administered by Health Canada require that health products containing certain medicinal ingredients be subject to specific controls and/or be prescribed by a health care practitioner because they are used to treat serious diseases or may have side effects that require monitoring by a health care practitioner.
Specific drug ingredients may be subject to additional restrictions as outlined in the Food and Drugs Act and the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. This may include the need for a prescription from a health care practitioner, the application of specific controls to allow for professional direction and supervision in their use, or the application of additional controls on the sale and storage of the product.
- Hemo Rage Black manufactured by Nutrex, contains Yohimbine HCl.
- Lipo 6 Black (UPC label 853237001230) manufactured by Nutrex Research, contains 11-hydroxy-yohimbine, alpha yohimbine, yohimbine HCl (4.5 mg).
- Lipo 6 Hers Black (UPC label 853237001261) manufactured by Nutrex Research, contains 11-hydroxy-yohimbine, alpha yohimbine, yohimbine HCl (4.5 mg).
- Yohimbe Extract (UPC label 833343000167) manufactured by West Pharm, contains Yohimbe (standardized for 9 mg Yohimbine).
- Free form Carnitine manufactured by Bio Advanced, contains L-Carnitine.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine manufactured by Bio Advanced, contains Acetyl-L-Carnitine.
- DHEA (UPC label 622615103237), manufactured by Bio Advanced, contains Dehydroepiandrosterone.
- Red Rockets (UPC label 624340042652) manufactured by Integrity Labs, contains Ephedra (8% Ephedrine) and Kola-nut (standardized 75% caffeine).
- Hydro Lean (UPC label 833343000020) manufactured by West Pharm, contains L-Carnitine, MaHuang Extract (standardized to 8% Ephedrine) and Guarana Extract (standardized 22% caffeine).
- Xtra Lean (UPC label 833343000013) manufactured by West Pharm, contains Acetyl L-Carnitine, Deanol, MaHuang (standardized to 20 mg Ephedrine) and Guarana Extract (standardized 200 mg caffeine).
How to report side effects to health products
To report a suspected adverse reaction to these or other health products, please contact the Canada Vigilance Program of Health Canada toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or complete a Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and send it to us using one of these methods:
- Fax: 1-866-678-6789
- E-mail: CanadaVigilance@hc-sc.gc.ca
- Internet: www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect
Mail: Canada Vigilance Program
Marketed Health Products Directorate
Ottawa, ON, Address Locator 0701C
Related Health Canada Web Content
- Advisory (March 31, 2010) – Unauthorized Health Product, "West Pharma Therma Lean Fat Burner Energizer", may pose serious health risk
- Advisory (September 3, 2008) – Unauthorized Health Products found on the Canadian Market
- Foreign Product Alert (August 18, 2008) – Soloslim
- Information Update (March 11, 2008) – Health Canada Reminds Canadians not to use Ephedra/Ephedrine Products
- Advisory (May 23, 2006) – Health Canada advises consumers not to use weight loss products containing Ephedrine and Caffeine
- Advisory (April 10, 2006) – Health Canada advises consumers not to use unapproved products containing yohimbine or yohimbe bark including Strauss Energy Six capsules
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: