Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Vigofit and Once More: Unauthorized Health Products Seized at Stores in Abbotsford and Surrey, B.C.
- Starting date:
- June 8, 2010
- Posting date:
- June 8, 2010
- Type of communication:
- Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Undeclared Substance, Unauthorized products, Product Safety
- General Public
- Identification number:
Health Canada is warning Canadians that the unauthorized health products Vigofit and Once More, which are promoted to enhance male sexual performance, have been seized by Health Canada inspectors from retail stores in Abbotsford and Surrey, British Columbia. These two products contain sildenafil, a prescription medication that may pose serious and potentially life-threatening health risks, particularly to people with heart problems.
Who is affected
Canadians who have purchased the products Once More from Valley Herblex Products in Abbotsford, British Columbia, or Vigofit from Herbalex in Surrey, British Columbia, particularly people with heart problems.
What consumers should do
- Consult your healthcare practitioner if you have used any of these products and are concerned about your health.
- Read the labelling of the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), a Natural Product Number (NPN) or a Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) on the label.
- Report any adverse reaction potentially related to these products to Health Canada (see below).
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is working with the Canada Border Services Agency to help stop the future importation of these unauthorized health products into Canada. Health Canada will continue to monitor the stores noted above and will take immediate and appropriate action should they continue to sell unauthorized health products that may pose a risk to Canadians.
Sildenafil is used to treat erectile dysfunction and should be used only under the supervision of a health care practitioner. Products authorized for sale containing sildenafil indicate that it should never be used by individuals taking any kind of nitrate drug (such as nitroglycerine) as this combination can cause potentially life-threatening low blood pressure.
Individuals with heart problems are at increased risk of cardiovascular side-effects such as heart attack, stroke, chest pain, high blood pressure and abnormal heart beat. Other side-effects include headache, facial flushing, indigestion, dizziness, abnormal vision, and hearing loss.
- Once More
For more information
How to report side effects to health products
To report a suspected adverse reaction to these or other health products, please contact the Canada Vigilance Program of Health Canada toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or complete a Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and send it to us using one of these methods:
- Fax: 1-866-678-6789
- Email: CanadaVigilance@hc-sc.gc.ca
- Internet: www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect
Mail: Canada Vigilance Program
Marketed Health Products Directorate
Ottawa, ON, Address Locator 0701C
Related Health Canada Web Content
- Advisory (March 8, 2010) – Unapproved Health Product, "Power-Max" May Pose Serious Health Risks
- Advisory (January 8, 2010) – Canadians Advised Not to use "Stiff Nights" or Any Unauthorized Product Promoted for Erectile Dysfunction
- Warning (November 25, 2009) – Health Canada Warns Consumers Not to Use "Once More" or Any Unauthorized Product Promoted to Enhance Male Sexual Performance
- Warning (November 26, 2008) – Health Canada Warns Consumers Not to Use Firm Dose and Granite Rooster or Any Unauthorized Products Promoted to Enhance Male Sexual Performance
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: