Unauthorized "High By Nature" kratom products recalled by Garnoff Botanicals as they may pose serious health risks
- Starting date:
- May 19, 2017
- Posting date:
- May 19, 2017
- Type of communication:
- Drugs, Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Unauthorized products
- General Public
- Identification number:
- Products affected
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is advising Canadians that Garnoff Botanicals is voluntarily recalling unauthorized “High By Nature” kratom products because they may pose serious health risks when swallowed or inhaled. The products were being promoted online at www.garnoffbotanicals.com and sold at various retail locations, including smoke shops, across Canada.
Health Canada has not authorized any product containing kratom for sale. It is illegal to sell any health products in Canada without authorization from Health Canada. The Department advises consumers not to swallow or inhale products labelled to contain kratom because of the potential side effects, including liver and heart problems.
All kratom products labelled with the brand name “High By Nature.”
What you should do
- Stop using these products. Consult with your health care professional if you have used any of these products and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized health products have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Drug Number (DIN-HM). You can also check whether products have been authorized for sale by searching Health Canada’s Drug Product Database and Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑866‑234‑2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑800‑267‑9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
Consumers who have bought or used these products. (Images below are examples only. 25-gram and 10-gram packages are both being recalled).
Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is an herbal product that may pose serious health risks when swallowed or inhaled. Side effects include drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, seizures, liver toxicity and excessively rapid heartbeat. Kratom has been linked to both narcotic and stimulant-like effects, and has potential for abuse and dependence.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada has requested and received confirmation from Garnoff Botanicals that it has stopped selling and initiated a voluntary recall of these products. Health Canada is monitoring the recall. Should additional products, retailers or distributors be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians as necessary.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: