Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Archived – Health Canada Is Warning Canadians to Discard Intelligence Brand Infant Rattles
- Starting date:
- September 30, 2004
- Posting date:
- September 30, 2004
- Type of communication:
- Children's Products, Toys
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Physical Hazard, Product Safety
- General Public
- Identification number:
Health Canada is warning the Canadian public to immediately discard Intelligence brand infant rattles. The Intelligence rattles do not meet Canadian safety standards as they release small parts that can present choking and breathing hazards to infants and young children who use them.
Health Canada's Consumer Product Safety offices have received three consumer complaints which described the release of a small plastic rod from the infant rattles. In all cases, parents could remove the small plastic rod before their infants were injured.
There are five infant rattles made of plastic and produced in vibrant colors that are included in this warning. A photo of the products can be found on Health Canada's website. A description of each rattle follows.
- The Intelligence Funny Toys rattle is multi-coloured and has an oval-shaped outer tube. A spinning and rattling bear-shaped component is located at the centre of the tube. The rattle is approximately 11 cm in height and 10 cm in width.
- The Intelligence Roller Rattle is a hollow multi-coloured sphere with twelve teardrop-shaped openings. A small rattling ball is contained inside the sphere. The sphere is approximately 9 cm in diameter.
- The Intelligence Tumbler Rattle is multi-coloured and holds the shape of a cylinder with four upright supports. A small rattling ball is contained inside the supports. The cylinder is approximately 8 cm in height and 7.5 cm in diameter.
- The Intelligence Rock 'N Roll Rattle is multi-coloured and shaped like a bowl with a pole in the middle. The pole holds two small rattling balls within the bowl. The rattle is approximately 8 cm in height and the bowl's maximum diameter is approximately 10 cm.
- The Intelligence Funny Toys rattle is multi-coloured and has an oval-shaped outer tube. A spinning and rattling clown-shaped component is located at the centre of the tube. The rattle is approximately 11 cm in height and 10 cm in width.
The five known Intelligence brand rattles are packaged for Dollarama stores and have the product number 1900337 on the front, upper-right corner of each package. However, the rattles may be sold in packaging that differs from that depicted in the photo, or they may be sold under a different brand name.
Health Canada recently advised Dollarama stores across the country to stop selling the Intelligence rattles. Approximately 19,870 Intelligenc rattles are known to have been sold in Canada. However, these rattles may also have been imported by other establishments unknown to Health Canada, and they may still be available for sale.
Parents and caregivers are urged to immediately take the rattles away from infants and young children, and to discard the products.
|City, Province||Telephone Number||E-mail Address|
|Vancouver, British Columbia||604-666-5003||Bby_Prodsafe@hc-sc.gc.ca|
|Moncton, New Brunswick||506-851-6638||Atlantic_ProdSafe@hc-sc.gc.ca|
|Halifax, Nova Scotia||902-426-8300||Atlantic_ProdSafe@hc-sc.gc.ca|
|St. John's, Newfoundland||709-772-4050||Atlantic_ProdSafe@hc-sc.gc.ca|
Margot Geduld/Carole Saindon
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: