Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.

Pay Me Foods recalls Carbon Especial

Starting date:
June 3, 2015
Posting date:
June 3, 2015
Type of communication:
Consumer Product Recall
Outdoor Living
Source of recall:
Health Canada
Labelling and Packaging
General Public
Identification number:

Affected products

Carbon Especial Lump Charcoal

Product description

This recall involves 2.5 kg bags of Carbon Especial lump charcoal. This product comes in a brown bag with black writing.

Hazard identified

Health Canada’s sampling and evaluation project has revealed this product does not meet the warning label requirements under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA). The CCPSA requires warning labels be in both French and English.

Charcoal produces carbon monoxide. This can be toxic if it is burned inside or in an area without proper ventilation. Warning labels help to protect the public by telling them about this hazard.

Neither Pay Me Foods nor Health Canada has received any reports of consumer incidents or injuries to Canadians related to the use of this product.

Number sold

Approximately 800 of the recalled products were sold in Canada.

Time period sold

The recalled products were sold at Pay Me Foods from September 2014 to May 2015.

Place of origin

Manufactured in Paraguay


Ganadera Don Pedro
Pay Me Foods
64 Acres Drive

Images (select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window)

What you should do

Consumers should stop using the product and contact Pay Me Foods at 1-204-326-1104 for a refund.

Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.

Health Canada would like to remind Canadians to report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product or any other consumer product or cosmetic by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.