Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Four lots of Charac and Charac-Tol activated charcoal products recalled
- Starting date:
- January 24, 2017
- Posting date:
- January 24, 2017
- Type of communication:
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- General Public
- Identification number:
- Products affected
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is advising Canadians that four lots of activated charcoal products are being recalled by the company Omega Laboratories Ltd. because they may pose health risks. Children and people with weakened immune systems are at particular risk.
The company has confirmed that two lots have microbial contamination (Charac-25 lot 8HL and Charac-Tol 50 lot 9HL) and is recalling the other two lots as a precaution (Charac-50 lot 7HL and Charac-Tol 25 lot 10HL).
These products are used in emergency situations to treat poisoning by most drugs and chemicals. They are used mainly in healthcare settings such as hospitals, but are also sold in stores such as pharmacies.
- Charac-25, lot 8HL, Expiry December 2018 (DIN 02056429)*contamination confirmed
- Charac-Tol 50, lot 9HL, Expiry December 2018 (DIN 00649236)*contamination confirmed
- Charac-50, lot 7HL, Expiry December 2018 (DIN 00637955)
- Charac-Tol 25, lot 10HL, Expiry December 2018 (DIN 02060205)
What you should do
- Do not use these products. Consult with your health care professional if you have used any of these products and have health concerns.
- Return any unused products to the place of purchase. If you have questions about this recall, contact Ms. Rosette Sasouni at Omega Laboratories Ltd. by email or by calling 514-335-0310, ext: 3371.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used this product, particularly children and people with weakened immune systems.
Ingesting a contaminated product may pose health risks. Children, the elderly and other people with a weakened immune system may be more susceptible to the more serious effects of infections.
The company has advised Health Canada that testing to identify the specific type of microbial contamination is underway. The specific potential health effects of exposure are therefore not yet known.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is monitoring the company's recall. If new safety information is identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: