Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Unauthorized product "Aerobic Oxygen" sold by online retailer "Good For You" may pose serious health risks
- Starting date:
- August 4, 2017
- Posting date:
- August 4, 2017
- Type of communication:
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Important Safety Information, Unauthorized products
- General Public
- Identification number:
- Products affected
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Related AWRs
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is advising Canadians that "Aerobic Oxygen," an unauthorized product sold online by "Good For You" at www.goodforyou.ca, may pose serious health risks, including poisoning and kidney failure. Health Canada testing found that the product contains sodium chlorite, a bleach-like chemical that is not listed on the product label. The product is promoted as a treatment for a range of ailments, including coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, impotence, paralysis, breast cancer and brain tumours. The product may also have been sold by other online retailers.
Health Canada has communicated in the past on the dangers of consuming products containing sodium chlorite.
Aerobic Oxygen (60 mL and 240 mL)
What you should do
- Stop using this product. Consult with your health care professional if you have used this product and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized health products have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Drug Number (DIN-HM). You can also check whether products have been authorized for sale by searching Health Canada's Drug Product Database and Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
Consumers who have bought or used this product
Sodium chlorite is a chemical used mainly as a textile bleaching agent and disinfectant, and is authorized in Canada as a germicide for veterinary use and as a hard surface disinfectant.
Ingesting sodium chlorite can cause poisoning, kidney failure and harm to red blood cells. This in turn reduces the ability of the blood to carry oxygen, among other effects. Ingesting sodium chlorite can also cause abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
No drug products containing sodium chlorite have been approved by Health Canada for oral consumption by humans. As such, its sale as a drug is not permitted under the Food and Drugs Act and its regulations.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada has requested and received confirmation from Good For You Corp. that it has stopped selling and will recall the unauthorized product. Health Canada will monitor the company's recall. Should additional retailers or distributors be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians as necessary.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: