Removable Foam Facial Interfaces for the Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality headset recalled due to Skin Irritation Hazard
- Starting date:
- July 27, 2021
- Posting date:
- July 27, 2021
- Type of communication:
- Consumer Product Recall
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Product Safety
- General Public
- Identification number:
- Product: All removable foam facial interfaces for the Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality headset.
- Issue: The foam facial interfaces may cause skin irritation on the faces of certain consumers.
- What to do: Consumers who experience a skin irritation or reaction should immediately stop using the affected product, and all consumers should contact Facebook Technologies at https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/removable-facial-interface-alert to receive a free silicone cover.
Joint recall with Health Canada, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (US CPSC), and Facebook Technologies, LLC.
All removable foam facial interfaces sold with the Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality headset, Quest 2 Standard Facial Interface or Quest 2 Fit Pack as described below.
This recall involves the black removable foam facial interfaces attached to the Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality headset sold either as part of the Oculus headset, individually, or a 2-pack.
- Facial interfaces included with the following SKUs are affected:
- SKU 301-00402-01 Oculus Quest 2, Enterprise, 256GB, US/CA/TW, Type-A
- SKU 301-00408-01 Oculus Quest 2, 64GB, CA, Type-A
- SKU 301-00409-01 Oculus Quest 2, 256GB, CA, Type-A
- SKU 301-0036-01 Oculus Quest 2, Accy, Standard Facial Interface, Global
- SKU 301-00374-01 Oculus Quest 2, Accy, Fit Pack, Global
- In addition, facial interfaces included with headsets with serial numbers that start with "1WMHH" and end with a number below "1264" are affected, unless the consumer received a silicone cover with the headset.
The foam facial interface may cause skin irritation to the consumer that includes rashes, swelling, burning, itching, hives, and bumps.
As of July 16, 2021 the company has received 758 reports of skin reactions in Canada and 5,716 reports of skin reactions in the United States.
The company reported that approximately 172,592 units of the affected product were sold in Canada and approximately 4,000,000 units were sold in the United States.
Time period sold
The affected products were sold from October 2020 to July 2021.
Place of origin
Manufactured in China
Facebook Technologies, LLC
1 Hacker Way
What you should do
Consumers who experience a skin irritation or reaction should immediately stop using the affected product, and all consumers should contact Facebook Technologies to receive a free silicone cover. Facebook Technologies is contacting all Quest 2 users directly as well.
For more information, consumers can contact Facebook Technologies online at https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/removable-facial-interface-alert or by telephone toll-free at 1-877-960-0889 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Consumers may view the release by the US CPSC on the Commission's website (US CPSC to provide link).
Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.
Health Canada would like to remind Canadians to report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product or any other consumer product or cosmetic by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
This recall is also posted on the OECD Global Portal on Product Recalls website. You can visit this site for more information on other international consumer product recalls.
- Date modified: